Two found guilty over Kenya shopping mall attack
Written by Fred on October 8, 2020
A court in Kenya has found two men guilty of helping Islamist militants to attack an upmarket shopping mall in 2013.
At least 67 people died in the assault by al-Shabab on the Westgate shopping complex in the capital, Nairobi.
The state said the four militants who carried out the attack were found dead in the shopping centre’s rubble.
The militants occupied the mall for four days, in one of the deadliest jihadi attacks in Kenya.
A third man was found not guilty on all counts of conspiracy to commit a terrorist act.
The trial is the only one so far over the Westgate shopping mall attack.
More than 140 witnesses testified in the case. The accused denied conspiring to commit terrorism.
The presiding judge ruled that the two suspects, both Kenyan citizens, will be sentenced on 22 October.
The BBC’s Ferdinand Omondi in Nairobi says their convictions will be welcomed in a country that remains on high alert over possible attacks by al-Shabab.
The al-Qaeda affiliate is based in neighbouring Somalia, and has carried out a series of attacks in Kenya.
Kenya has troops in Somalia to help fight the militants.
(SOURCE : BBC)